Tuesday, May 07, 2013

EASY CHICKEN / DUMPLING CASSEROLE

Hmmm, this looks easy, I thought to myself as I read the recipe. Let me try. Do not stir, it emphasized.  That's perfect for me.  So I started looking for ingredients.  Ah, all that I have to buy is the roasted chicken. Great!!!  But wait, I don't have dried sage, but I have a plant. Why not!  What?  Chicken broth?  Wait a minute, I remember boiling and making a stock out of that ham bone. So, no problem, no problem at all...
Grated cheddar will be good at the bottom, too... maybe next time.
BTW, I didn't add salt (original recipe calls for 1 tsp) anymore thinking that the ingredients already had enough salt in them.

Hubby gave a big thumbs up. What more do I need lol....

This dish is inspired by a recipe that a FB and FT friend posted, Ms. Ruth Jones from Atlanta, Georgia.

Ingredients:

1/2 stick butter, melted
meat from one store bought roasted chicken, flaked
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp minced fresh sage
2 cups Bisquick
1 cup evaporated milk plus 1 cup water
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups home made broth**
1 tablespoon chicken seasoning granules

Procedure:
Note:: do not stir after pouring each layer, please.

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a 9 x 13 baking dish.  Spread evenly at the bottom  and the sides of the pan.
3. Spread the flaked chicken over butter.
4. Mix sage and pepper and sprinkle on top of chicken.
5. In a small bow, beat lightly Bisquick and milk/water  mixture. (leaving small lumps is okay).
6. Slowly pour mixture over chicken.
7. Whisk together the soup, broth and granules.
8. Pour mixture over the Bisquick layer.
9. With a fork, poke at several places, but do not stir. (I do this to distribute soup to the bottom)++
10. Bake until top is golden brown, approx. 40-45 minutes.
11. Enjoy!


** used broth made out of left over bones and meat.....
++thought of this step as I was scooping my portion ...



 2. Melt butter in a 9 x 13 baking dish.  Spread evenly at the bottom  and the sides of the pan.
 3. Spread the flaked chicken over butter.

 5. In a small bow, beat lightly Bisquick and milk/water  mixture. (leaving small lumps is okay).


 7. Whisk together the soup, broth and granules.


8. Pour mixture over the Bisquick layer.


 10. Bake until top is golden brown, approx. 40-45 minutes.



 11. Enjoy!


No comments: