Sunday, June 01, 2008

Weekend reading

As always the case, I forgot to bring something to keep me busy while waiting for the competition to finish so I decided to visit the store where I found the last copy of this book by Louis Saulnier. Although I know that French cuisine is the mommy of all cuisines, I am not deeply into it. My aim had always been to empower my students with skills that the industry will expect of them the first time they set foot on a restaurant's kitchen - knife skills, safety and sanitation practices, knowledge of basic cooking methods and time management. As I leafed through the pages I thought, wow, I've been teaching the French way all along but less of the French basics. And those basics are only one or two sentences long!! Got to re-design my lessons. After all, everything will eventually boil down to how it all started.


As hubby and I always do, we eat Sunday breakfast with the Sunday papers strewn all around the table. What caught my attention was this part from an article about Anne Hathaway (The Princess Diary, or, The Devil Wears Prada ) when she and her family were searching for something to put in his uncle's funeral program, they decided to include this quote:
"The worst thing that happens to you can be the best thing for you, if you don't let it get the best of you."

The same article ended with this:

"There's something that, growing up, my mom would say to me. And I say it back to her a lot. We're fairly dramatic people. And we're prone to very big feelings. So, when those very big feelings some times aren't the most positive thing, we just look at each other, and we say, 'Choose joy.'"

What a positive attitude about life and living!!!

No comments: